This is a message for members to draw your attention to the email will just have received from our secretary, Nigel. If you have not received the email, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting covers most of the points but there is more detail in the email.
Why are we asking for members’ involvement and help?
Possible places in which to hold 2023 events were discussed at the most recent committee meeting. These included museums, towns of especial interest, and—as ever—châteaux and vineyards. It was felt that we could ask for input from members about these and also about: possible venues for the autumn 2023 AGM; the idea of holding a meeting with an invited speaker; and how we might identify new members. The committee meets again in January 2023 so we would be grateful for your input before that.
May we, then, please ask for members’ thoughts on:
- Do you think we should continue our policy of holding the AGM in different parts of our (enormous) catchment area?
- Or would you prefer us to identify a single, central site which we know works well and then meet there every year?
- We have had invited well-known speakers on at least four occasions. Do you favour our doing so again? Maybe not, but, if so, canwe try to invite someone who lives locally?
- Do you know (of) anyone whom we might ask to speak to us?
- Since Covid, most of our excursions have been to châteaux and vineyards. Do you think we should vary this pattern by staging some, at least, of our four or five gatherings this coming year in towns with museums, galleries, concert halls, or other sites of cultural interest?
- If so, might you prefer us to select venues which have access by bus and/or train or are close to a motorway?
We are always on the look-out for new members
- Do you know of any Oxford alumni living locally, full-time or even part of the year, whom you feel might be persuaded to join us?
- Can you suggest ways we might draw attention to our existence and to what we do?
- We would appreciate it if members can bring their membership up to date by paying the annual subscription of €10 at their earliest convenience.
The remit of the present office holders and the entire committee expires at the 2023 AGM. We would very much appreciate it if any member, and especially someone from the younger cohort, would like to put himself/herself up for the committee and participate more fully in helping to organize our programme.
Please reply directly to Nigel or via email@example.com.